Friday, December 24, 2010

Friday, December 24, 2010 10:04 PM, CST

Elizabeth has stayed pretty stable most of the day. Still off the paralytic, so that is the best news I have to offer. Her biggest issue has been her blood pressure being low, they had stopped but restarted dopamine to keep it at a decent level. She finally used the bathroom, so they have restarted her feedings at a low rate, so we will see how that goes. Other than that nothing new to add.
 We have been very impressed with Dr Mallory. He sees her about 3 to 4 times a day, ensuring that she is staying on track and all that can be done is being done for her. He stopped by on his way to Christmas service at church tonight. On his way out he told us she is his only patient in the hospital right now, and he will be here first thing tomorrow to see her. That makes me feel alot better about things, I was feeling very down about her not being listed yet. But he really seems to think we are headed in the right direction and I dont think he would be working so hard if he didnt truly think it was going to happen. The nurse who took care of Elizabeth on the night she was admitted and her first full day here seems to really like Elizabeth. She stops by all the time to check on her and us. Today she came by and we talked about things. She could tell I was very disappointed about her not being listed yet. She told me that this infection and not being listed yet is Elizabeth's way of waiting for the best possible donor lungs. I never thought of it that way. She told us that Elizabeth will get there, but it will be when the timing is right for her. So for now I have to believe that when she is ready and her donor is ready things will fall into place. From talking to other families and talking to the nurses/social workers here everyone says the wait is the hardest part. I believe it! Waiting to get on the list is driving me crazy, I cant even imagine how hard the wait will be once she is listed!!!
    We missed spending Christmas Eve with our families, but in my case I would have been working anyway (so at least I got to spend it with Elizabeth and Matt even if we are stuck in a hospital). But we are thankful that we are together and that Elizabeth continues to fight to stay with us. Next Christmas will be even more special for her! We got our first packages in the mail yesterday and today, Thanks Kay and Carie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment