Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:16 PM, CST

Today has continued to be a stable day. Nothing new or different to add, no changes were made to anything.

So my reason for posting tonight has more to do with my desire to continue to spread the word about the need for organ donation and awareness. I am hoping that since most of you have been following Elizabeth's story or know us personally you have already made the decision to become an organ donor. But if for some reason you are still debating or questioning it. I urge to to do some research.
    I wanted to share with you part of a blog from another waiting mother, her 16 year old son is waiting for a lung transplant here in Texas, he has cystic fibrosis.
" I'm wondering if other mothers with healthy children can imagine that sound (coughing) and if they could keep a smile on their face daily throughout or if they'd refuse to help Tyler if they met him face-to-face.  I wonder why some still refuse to register themselves and their families to be organ donors or to spread the word. Probably because it's not their child but if it were - would you register?"
   I think her words pretty much say it all. And over the past year I have learned alot, there is a huge need for not only organ donors, but blood and bone marrow donations. Blood and bone marrow are 2 things that you can give while alive...AND SAVE SOMEONES LIFE! Elizabeth has need 7 blood transfusions just since November, and numerous more during other hospital stays. I personally had to a transfusion after her birth back in Jan last year. And as I have mentioned on here before Brynlee Thompson, a 1 year old from back home had a bone marrow transplant in Sept. A 19 yr old anonoymous donor saved her life.
We get emails/texts all the time asking what we need, or how people can help. Right now the biggest help anyone can provide is becoming a donor, and increasing awareness in honor of Elizabeth. You never know when you or your loved ones will be the ones who need organs, blood or bone marrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment